Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thirteen Reasons Why



This book really messed me up. I kept hearing about this book and how good it was so after long awaiting, I finally got it. Never in my life have I ever felt sick before from the words and pages of a novel. This one achieved that improbable goal.

This is the story about Clay Jenson receiving a set of tapes revealing the reasons of why Hannah Baker, one of his former classmates, killed herself. In these tapes Hannah goes into great detail of whom each person is and what they did to her to commit this terrible suicide. Clay must listen to each tape until his name comes across and discover one of the reasons why it was his fault. The person that's after him in the tapes, must receive the tapes when Clay is done with them or someone will release the tapes public wide for the whole world to see each of the thirteen people's terrible actions.

When I started reading this book, I could not put it down. I didn't even pay attention in all of my classes for two days(I'm sure I'll regret that later). The thing that got me the most was that Hannah Baker seemed like an pretty cool girl, and she killed herself. It wasn't necessarily the cool part, but rather the part that I'm sitting here listening to the tapes, just like Clay Jenson, and I can't do nothing about her death. She is already dead. That drove me crazy! I wanted to change the events of the book knowing that they were already set in stone, or rather in paper. To me that is absurd for me wanting this girl to live, I mean come on she is a fictional character. There were some parts in the story that just simply almost made me vomit. I'm sorry, that's disgusting. Even though this book really got to me, I think every body should really read it for the sole fact that it will really make you think about your actions towards other people, and the consequences for them. Remember, next time you see somebody in the hall who looks a little down, it doesn't take much energy to lighten up there day. Because who knows, you may get a set of tapes in the mail some day.

1 comment:

Tammy Gillmore said...

Again...I agree with you! This is one of the more powerful novels I have ever read...and, yes, everyone should read it.